Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Dear Mr. Perfect,



Once upon a time when I was nineteen, an older friend suggested that I should make a list of about 10 things I wanted in my future spouse. I thought it was a brilliant idea so I went and made a list of 120 things. I proudly showed it to my younger sister, Natalie. She looked at me blankly and told me I was out of my mind so I went and reduced the list to 60 requirements and 20 "preferences." I even handed them out to my Mia Maids (a group of young girls I was teaching at Church during Sunday School) as part of the lesson on choosing an eternal spouse. (Oh, how I cringe every time I think of this!!!!)

Now that I am thirty and still single, my list has shrunk significantly. My future husband doesn't have to aspire to write a book anymore. I no longer have a written list of things I want in a spouse, but I still do have a mental image of what he will be like. But at the same time, I have learned to expect to be surprised and have realized that when I fall in love, I break all the rules. (For example, I wanted someone who liked and listened to classical music almost exclusively but dated a guy who was in a gothic rock band.) So yes, life has sometimes caught me by surprise but I think it's inevitable to have certain preferences when it comes to finding the person I want to be with for the rest of my life and foreeeeeeeeeeeeever moooooooore.

The Kim clan has been continuously telling me not to be so picky, but I am not so sure if I am.(Well, maybe a little bit, but I assure you the height of my expectations are within the human reach.)

In all seriousness, all I want is a genuinely good human being with brains who shares the same faith as I do. (And understands the Korean culture or at least try to and likes Korean food. Oh, and there is the chemistry thing, too.)

As for looks, he doesn't have to look like this:



Or like this:



Or like this:




That is not to say I will reject him if he looked like that but really, who am I kidding? As long as he suits my fancy and is not drop-dead ugly (and it's very hard to be drop-dead ugly, folks) I am game. So, Mr. Perfect (for me), where the heck are you?

4 comments:

  1. He should definately look like the second picture. Definately!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was dating him in my dream...and then I woke up. It sucked greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will find him. I'm sure he's out there wondering, "When will I find my beautiful wife named Hannah?" :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am counting on that 2nd guy for you!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails