Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Top 5 things so far



1. Amazing customer service. I needed to get a new pair of pants hemmed. So my mom's friend called the tailor to come to her house, take the measurements, take the pants to his shop, do the work and bring it back the same day all for 6 bucks! No tips. Just 6 bucks. We didn't even have to leave the house! I could get used to this.

2. Politeness is everything. I went shopping a few days ago at a fancy department store. The sales people were extremely nice and polite, almost servilely complaisant. We got there late and when it was time to close, they put on this goodbye song on the speakers (kind of like "So long, farewell" from "The Sound of Music."). At first, I didn't register that it was telling us to leave. Then I noticed that all the sales people were lined up in straight lines and were chanting "Thank you for coming. Goodbye" along with the song playing in the speakers and bowed in 90 degrees. I felt a little uncomfortable but it was interesting.

3. Respect and consideration for the elderly. Before I left America, I went to a DMV office to take care of something. I was sitting in the 4th row when an old lady with a walker came looking for a seat. She asked this lady if there were seats for the handicapped but they were all taken. Only to the left of her was a boy maybe 16, 17 sitting comfortably in his chair just listening to her obvious plight. I was too far behind to do anything so I just stared really hard at the back of his head as if my will could physically kick him out of his seat. If stares could produce laser beams, they would have burned through the back of his head, through his skull and popped his eyeballs out of their sockets! In Korea, he would have been shot. Respect and consideration for the elderly is deeply rooted in the consciousness of the Korean people.

4. High-rise apartments. It's the only way to house 49 million people in a country that's the size of Southern California.

5. Advanced technology. People watch t.v. on their cellphones in the subway trains and on the bus.You can also buy stuff in the vending machine with your cellphone. Most of the apartments are equipped with an intercom system with a screen so you know who is ringing the bell from inside the house.


7 comments:

  1. #4 I don't know what is the size of So Cal, but South Korea is smaller than Virginia. (I recently chair-ed a Korean Cultural Week at my boys' school!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I could get used to that kind of service, too! So excited to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so interesting that we got such different vibes! I noticed that respect for the elderly was diminish in Korea and was basically on the same level as it is here. The customer service was great, but also very intimidating. I felt bad every time I tried something on, because they would become less "polite" if I ended up not buying it etc. I'm glad you're having a great time there and that you're seeing/experiencing so many things. Best~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Six bucks?!?! Holy cow, that's awesome!
    The top 5 would be all about food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brenda, I agree with you on everything you said. Hannah, I can tell you're still in the honeymoon stage. Even though I'm sure your Korean experience will be different from mine, there were some things that I COULD NOT STAND! But I agree with Natalie, for me it was all about the food!! 떡볶이~~~

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG THE FOOOOOD!! I talked nonstop about the food for like a month afterwards. Wow, I miss that stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Politeness is so automatic in Korea. It is not really about opening the door or etc., because of carrying their cultural heritage, they will bow to elders and many foreigners. However, in terms of male/female, it seems to be rude when I heard in Korea that a man has to go first. I have not encountered that in Korea yet.

    The service is incredible there. My mom and I were very much lost tourist and people were kind enough to show us where to go.

    Which fancy department store did you go? I went to Lotte World Department Store in Jamsil, it was very fancy but the marketplace was amazing and clean. I bought some omija berries to make a punch. I just ran out of it. I miss it! =)

    Interesting thing about Korea is the cellphone. I've been in Hong Kong for a long time and everyone either has Apple Iphone or Blackberry but you don't see that in Korea. Everyone does NOT have either Apple or Blackberry. It is all kinds of Samsung phones. I am not sure if they use other Korean brands. I only know Samsung. According to technology, Korea is more advanced than Hong Kong.

    The food is amazing there. There are many restaurants that does fusion with Korean and western delicacy. I tried Kimchi fried rice and it was so good. Everything I ate in Korea was made with delight and carefully made. It was amazing.

    I've always wanted to see the country side of Korea where people don't place the high rise apartments there. =)

    DOn't forget about adding about hiking. I heard it is amazing in Korea!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails