Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Success? What Success?

For the first time in fourteen years, I met up with a friend I hadn't seen since we graduated from high school. Funny how you can immediately go back in time and feel as though you were in high school just last year. We caught up on each other's life, mainly career and love.

She was a really smart girl in high school so I was surprised that she stopped at just getting an associate's degree. After college, she got a job, saved up and bought a house. I was impressed. I told her, "Wow, you've done really well for yourself," to which she replied, "Well, you've succeeded, too."

I blinked.

How was I successful, I asked. She said I had a master's degree. I laughed. It's interesting how people measure success. Maybe success lies on the greener grass of the other side.




3 comments:

  1. Hannah! I ran into this exact situation recently. I was so impressed by my friends (from high school) career and was jealous of her travels. She went on to tell me how she was jealous of my family, etc. I have never been unsatisfied with my life because I figure, if I am desperately jealous of another's activities and accomplishments I will make them my own accomplishments. I have come to realize, as I have made this my motto, that some of those things I have been so envious of we're certainly not for me in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I envy your great grammatical skills and your enormous vocabulary!!! ;). That'll be my next journey...nah! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha! Thanks, Tamara. I think life is such a game. Events, material possessions, people come into our lives in the guise of all-importance but once they pass, we are left with nothing but our own selves. What seemed so important in one moment is not at all important in another. I always thought life was such a game and that one day, I will figure out the rules. I am slowly figuring it out. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails