Friday, July 30, 2010

Love Them or Hate Them: You Decide!


When I see an article of any fashion-related stuff, I either love it, hate it or am indifferent to it. When I saw these "bubble flip-flops" I expected my mind to produce one of those three reactions. But instead, my mind froze--it did not know what to do. That's okay, I told myself. When an initial, gut reaction is seized by a "what-the-heck" moment, the mind needs some time to reflect on its past tastes, its likes and dislikes, its social, intellectual, and artistic implications, and the level of propriety for a 30-year old to be "flip-flopping" around in a perpetual cluster of bubbles.

So, I waited myself out and for the verdict. But even with the relative objectivity of hindsight, I still didn't love them, or hate them. Which is just fine. The problem was, I just could not be indifferent to them.

It's like looking at a good piece of modern art. It refuses to leave you unaffected. But these flip flops are no modern art unless somebody decides to put some toothpicks through the bubbles, sharpie some of them in black, sprinkle some jelly-beans on top and put them in a glass case with a scary-looking security guard yelling at you for being too close.

So, I am torn. Even through the filter of my bias, and sub- and unconscious desires, I've got nothing. Maybe I should stare at them a little longer.

What do you think? Do you like them or hate them? (See, I told you. You cannot possibly be indifferent to them.)

3 comments:

  1. I like the colors. The bubbles are playful. But I don't think I could ever wear anything like that. I'm not sure what kind of person would wear those. They are unique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. they're kinda gross... like fishes sucking on tumors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! Janie, that's hilarious! Like Ann's face in that picture! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails